Posted by Dave | Posted in Inspiration | Posted on 25-07-2010-05-2008
Here is “my” top 10 commencement speeches made by business leaders in colleges across America.
1) Steve Jobs – Drawing from some of the most pivotal points in his life, Steve Jobs, chief executive officer and co-founder of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, urged graduates to pursue their dreams and see the opportunities in life’s setbacks — including death itself — at the university’s 114th Commencement on June 12, 2005. Watch
2) Jeff Bezos – Amazon founder and CEO, Princeton Alum (Class of 1986) gave the Baccalaureate address to Princeton University’s Class of 2010. Watch.
3) Oprah Winfrey – Global media leader and philanthropist, spoke to the Class of 2008 at Stanford’s 117th Commencement on June 15, 2008. Winfrey drew on experiences from a career that began in 1976 when she co-anchored a television newscast, and she shared three lessons about feelings, failure and finding happiness. Watch
5) Marissa Mayer – Google VP delivers the commencement address at the Illinois Institute of Technology on May 16, 2009. Watch
6) Eric Schmidt – Google CEO delivers the commencement address at the University of Pennsylvania on May 18, 2009. Watch
Another commencement address by Eric Schmidt. This time at Carnegie Mellon University on May 17, 2009 Watch
7) Larry Page – Google Co-Founder delivers the commencement address at the University of Michigan on May 2, 2009. Watch
9) Michael Dell – Chairman and CEO of Dell Computer Corp delivered his commencement address at his alma mater, University of Texas at Austin on May, 2003. Here is the full transcript. Unfortunately, I could not find the video on the web. If you know, please share.
Bonus: Professor Randy Pausch – I know Professor Pausch was not a business leader. But his legacy is inspiring. At Carnegie Mellon University he delivered an inspirational speech to the Class of 2008 at the Commencement ceremony on May 18, 2008. Watch. In case if you have not, also watch Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams. It will change your life. I know it changed mine.